Business Central 2023
- Fast growing business app
- Directions EMEA 2022
- Power Platform
- Microsoft Teams
- Developer tools
- Directions EMEA 2023
- Business Central 2023 FAQ
Of the many apps that make up Microsoft's portfolio of business applications, Dynamics 365 Business Central (formerly Dynamics NAV and Navision) is one of the fastest growing. The solution has developed into one of the most reliable SaaS-based ERP platforms on the market, and out of all Microsoft's business apps, Business Central has the largest share of partner-developed apps, also called extensions. There are actually more apps in AppSource for Business Central than for any other Microsoft product.
Directions 4 partners is an independent community of Microsoft Dynamics 365 partners, typically with a focus on the SMB market. Every year Directions holds conferences for partners, where partners and employees meet to gain more product knowledge, primarily on Business Central, Power Platform and Dynamics 365 Sales, and to gain inspiration and motivation through best practices, expert knowledge and innovation.
In 2022, partners from Europe, the Middle East and Africa met in Hamburg, Germany for Directions EMEA 2022. Here we (of course Active Business Solutions were there too) were presented with a Business Central 2023 roadmap (see below), which among other things had the following important messages :
- Performance and stability are also improved in Business Central 22.
- Administrators get better opportunities to handle the administration of a cloud environment that supports restores across BC versions and tenant relocations. Among other things, a new PTE (Per-tenant Extension) administration section is added in the Admin Center.
- Business Central developers get completely new developer tools, for example AL explorer.
- Improvements to the Shopify integration
- Power Platform integrations are increasingly prioritized.
Dynamics 365 Business Central 2023 roadmap
At Directions EMEA 2022, a lot of emphasis was placed on Power Platform, and rightly so. In recent years, Microsoft has increasingly focused on making the apps that make up Power Platform an important supplement to Business Central.
Because even though Dynamics 365 Business Central still forms the core of the companies' business operations, the solution is still only a piece in an increasingly large ecosystem of Microsoft business apps, which together comprise the business platforms Dynamics 365, Power Platform and Microsoft 365, as well as services such as Azure services, etc.
As is also evident from the Business Central roadmap Microsoft has released, there is no doubt that with the 2023 release wave 1 for Business Central, we will see even closer integration with the applications that make up Power Platform.
Microsoft offers an app that lets an administrator manage the Microsoft Teams integration with Business Central. This integration connects Teams to business data in Business Central, so you can quickly share details with team members, find contacts, and quickly respond to inquiries.
An interesting announcement at Directions EMEA 2022 was that it will be possible to integrate Dynamics 365 Business Central pages into Microsoft Teams as tabs, with the possibility of having:
- Full access to all Business Central data, with read/write permission. This option requires a Business Central license
- Full read-only access to all Business Central data. This option is free for all users in your company.
In Microsoft Teams, tabs appear at the top of channels and chats, giving participants quick and easy access to relevant information.
New adaptive map enhancements for Business Central will be announced in the upcoming Dynamics 365 2023 release wave 1 for Business Central.
As a Business Central developer, you work with an ERP solution (Enterprise Resource Planning), which is constantly changing, and is therefore often faced with new technical challenges. Fortunately, Microsoft also periodically releases new features, tools, and capabilities that aim to help developers in their work and to increase their efficiency.
Microsoft has already announced that with Business Central 22 2023 release wave 1, the following developer tools updates will be released:
- Increase productivity with AL explorer, debugger and code analyzer
- Improvements to AL-Go
Microsoft has also introduced these Business Central admin updates:
- New PTE (Per-tenant Extension) administration section in the Administration Center. Please note that it is Business Central administrators who are responsible for keeping both apps and PTEs up to date.
- Improved management environment management that allows for cross-version recovery and cross-tenant migration.
- Cloud migration improvements
- Improved communication and telemetry
This year's Directions 4 Partners conference for Microsoft business partners from Europe, the Middle East and Africa will be held in 2023 in Lyon, France from November 1 to 3 and with a welcome reception on Tuesday October 31, where you will have the opportunity to greet old friends in the industry or meet some new ones.
When does the rollout of Dynamics 365 2023 release wave 1 start?
The next major Dynamics 365 upgrade wave called 2023 release wave 1 will be rolled out from April 2023 to October 2023.
When will Business Central 22 be released?
Business Central 22 will be released in April 2023 as part of the large Dynamics 365 2023 release wave 1.
When will Directions EMEA 2023 be held?
Directions EMEA 2023 will be held from November 1st to 3rd in Lyon, France.
What is the name of the latest version of Business Central?
The latest version of Business Central has version number 21. Business Central 21 was released in October 2022.